Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the collapsible menu below to view all Frequently Asked Questions and Answers.
How can I become a Chelsea Police Officer?
The Chelsea Police Department is a Civil Service agency. Candidate selections for the position of police officer are obtained from the Massachusetts Human Resource Division after an applicant applies for and successfully passes the Civil Service Police Officer Examination. To become a police officer in Massachusetts an Applicant must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen (birth or naturalized).
  • Be a resident of Massachusetts.
  • Be at least 21 years of age.
  • Possess a High School Diploma or have a G.E.D. Certificate or
  • Served at least 3 years in the United States Armed Forces w/ honorable discharge or release.
  • Possess a valid Massachusetts motor vehicle operator’s license.
Preference is given to applicants applying to work at the Chelsea Police Department for the following reasons

  • Veterans
  • Residents of Chelsea
  • Children or siblings of fallen officers
  • Applicants of certain racial/ethnic backgrounds (as required by federal consent decree)
Other Requirements

  • Take a written Examination given by the Comm. Of Massachusetts’ Human Resource’s Division
  • Pass a comprehensive background investigation
  • Pass an interview board
  • Pass a Medical Screening
  • Pass a Drug Screening
  • Pass a Psychological Screening
  • Pass a Physical Agility Test
  • Pass a Pre-Academy Fitness Test
  • Complete a 22—30 week police academy
When is the next police exam?
The civil service exam is given every two years. The next exam date has yet to be announced. For more information please contact the Massachusetts Human Resources Division at (617) 727- 3777.
Does the Chelsea Police Department hire Reserve Police Officers?
No. The Chelsea Police Department does not currently employ Reserve Police Officers.
How do I get my car out of impound?
In the event that your vehicle is towed by a Chelsea Police officer, the registered owner or other authorized person will need to respond to the police station in person for a release. The release of vehicles towed by the Chelsea Police Department shall be made, absent extenuating circumstances, to the registered owner of the motor vehicle. The releasing officer will investigate the circumstances surrounding the tow, and upon determining that the release of the vehicle is proper will issue a written release for the vehicle. If the vehicle is unregistered and/or uninsured, or the person requesting the release is unlicensed, but otherwise is proper, the vehicle may be released with a notation on the tow release form stating “TOW ONLY.”
How do I commend an Officer or Police Department Employee?

The best way to commend the actions of a Chelsea Police employee is to write a brief letter describing the incident and the actions you think were exceptional. Information such as date, time, and location will help identify the employee if you do not know his or her name. Officers can also be commended through the use of the Smart Phone Application “MyPD”. If you choose not to write, or use the phone application, you may ask to speak with the individual’s supervisor and make a verbal recommendation.

Commendations received by the Chief are forwarded to the employee with a copy placed in his or her personnel file. Although our employees do not expect to be thanked for everything they do, recognition of exceptional service is always appreciated. This kind of feedback helps us to know if we are doing a good job.

How do file a complaint against an Officer or Police Department Employee?

An inquiry or complaint can be made by letter, telephone, or in person. Any police department employee whose duties involve public contact may accept an initial inquiry or complaint against personnel, procedures, or policies. If the inquiry or complaint is about personnel, you should contact the employee’s shift or unit commander. If the employee’s commander is not available, you may contact the on-duty supervisor. The supervisor will ensure that your inquiry or complaint is directed to the proper authority.

If your inquiry or complaint appears to be based on a misunderstanding or lack of knowledge of acceptable or desired conduct, procedures, or practices, the police department employee may offer an explanation. If you are not satisfied with their explanation, you may insist on speaking with the employee’s supervisor. Please be prepared to provide the date, time, and location of the event; the names of the police department employees involved (if known); and the name, address, and telephone number of any possible witnesses. All complaints of misconduct are reviewed by the department’s Internal Affairs Officer.

What is the best way to submit a Crime Tip to the Chelsea Police Department?
The Chelsea Police Department collects crime tips through various methods. The simplest way to relay a tip is by calling the Crime Stoppers Tip Hotline at (617) 466-4880 and leaving a message. Crime Tips can also be sent through the Smart Phone application “MyPD” available through the App Store or the Android Market. Tipsters are reminded that the Crime Stoppers Tip Hotline and the MyPD app should never be used for crime in progress. Citizens should always use 9-1-1 to report emergencies, and crimes in progress.
How do I get a copy of a police report? What is the cost?
The dissemination of police reports is governed by the Massachusetts Public Records Law. Requests for copies of police reports can be made in person or by mail and should be addressed to the department’s Records Bureau. The easiest and quickest way to obtain a police report is in person at the police station. For most reports and logs, the cost is $.50 cents per page and delivery is immediate. In the event that an accident report needs to be mailed then the cost will be $5.00 for the first six pages of the report and $.50 cents for each page thereafter. For all other reports other than accident reports, the cost to mail the report is $1.00 per page. Police Accident reports can also be obtained online at for $10.50.
How can I obtain a license to carry a firearm?
Residents wishing to apply for either a License to Carry (LTC) or a Firearms Identification Card (FID) should download the Chelsea Police Department’s Firearms License Application and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts’ Firearms Application from the Chelsea Police Department’s website at Applicants should then submit both completed applications as well as a copy of their Massachusetts’ Approved Basic Firearms Safety Certificate to the police department. Applications can be delivered in person or sent by mail to: Chelsea Police Department, ATTN: Firearms Licensing, 19 Park Street, Chelsea, MA02150. LTC and FID applications will be reviewed and applicants will be contacted by telephone for an appointment.
How can I become more involved in the community?

The Chelsea Police Department recognizes that social and physical disorder promotes criminal activity, whereas, social cohesion and neighborhood order foster more crime-resistant communities. They recognize the importance of engaging residents as partners in preventing crime and reintegrating police officers into the fabric of the community to help improve overall community-police relations. To this end, the Chelsea Police Department has established four Community Action Teams for the purpose of formulating the priorities for the Chelsea Police Department.

The Community Action Teams meet on a monthly basis at the following locations:

Sector 1 Shore Collaborative School 1st Tuesday of every month
Sector 2 Green Apartments (113 Spencer Ave) 1st Thursday of every month
Sector 3 St. Luke’s Church (201 Washington Ave) 2nd Tuesday of every month
Sector 4 Chelsea Police Community Room 2nd Thursday of every month

All meetings are held at 6:00 PM. Residents interested in participating in any of the Community Action Teams should visit the Chelsea Police Department’s website at for more information.

What are the Moped, Scooters and Motorcycle Laws?